Prev: Re: Wildly Off-Topic Next: Re: rear firing arcs (was 3-row hull)

Re: UNSC Ship Names

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 10:20:10 +0100
Subject: Re: UNSC Ship Names

>  >
>>  Grant A. Ladue wrote:
>>
>>  > >>Hermes class Diplomatic Couriers
>>  >
>>  > >Saks
>>  > >Macy's
>>  > >Tiffany's
>>  > >(assumes that "Hermes" refers to the store)
>>  >
>>  >What does Hermes refer to anyways?  I doubt if it's really about
the store.
>>  >It doesn't seem to me that you'd name your Couriers after greek
gods, but
>>  >maybe it's just me.
>>
>>  Famous messengers sounds more likely.
>
>   Ok, I can buy that.  The question is, how many famous messengers are
there?

>   Hmm, who was the guy that ran the first "marathon" back to Athens?

For the record (and feel free to disagree!) I'd always envisaged that
the Couriers would not have "official" names, only pennant numbers -
there are probably a LOT of these boats in service - but that some
might be given "unofficial" names by their crews. The use of Hermes
as a model name was in the messenger sense, and seemed to fit, but
there need not be any mythological connection to any of the
unofficial ship names. Many would probably be named for their
captain's wife/girlfriend/mistress etc (or of course
husband/boyfriend/toyboy for the female captains.....). I suspect
that nose art wouldn't be uncommon.

For the Warrior corvettes, use names of famous (or made-up famous)
soldiers - grunts who have distinguished themselves through the ages.
Like in Starship Troopers, where the Rodger Young (in the BOOK) is
actually a corvette/transport, and it is noted that the little ships
are named for the footsloggers, while the big carriers are named for
battles (eg: the Ypres). Look at any war memorials or roll of honour,
and pick some names that sound good, or just make some up for heroes
of 21st/22nd century battles!.

Jon (GZG)