Prev: Re: Wildly Off-Topic Next: Re: IF stats? was: 3-row hull costs

Re: Game setup question

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 15:09:30 -0400
Subject: Re: Game setup question

> Greetings,
> I would like to ask what are the acceptable table top sizes and
starting
> distances between fleets for FT games? Thanks.
> Malis

Depends on how complicated you want it to be, and how much room you
have.

You'd have a couple of turns outside longest weapons range.  I tend to
start at around 60mu apart, and we usually play on the floor with
about a 72x72mu area covered by star cloth.  If you don't have a big
enough area to be comfortable, use centimeters instead of inches.  If
Fleet Red sets up facing 12, have Fleet Blue roll 1d6 to determine its
initial course.

If you want a more complicated one, one of our more brilliant list
members came up with this idea in March03 (somewhat expended here):

Divide your fleet into squadrons.  For each squadron:
--Roll 1d6
--Add Turning ability
--Add 1/2 Thrust
--Add +1 or 2  for Enhanced or Superior sensor on your side
--Add +1 for each level of stealth or ECM on the least stealthy/ECM'd
ship in your squadron
--Add commander skill if using that
--Optional: subtract one if the squadron has 2-3 ships, two if the
squadron has 4-7 ships, three if 8-15 ships, etc.

Squadrons set up in order from lowest roll to highest, with an initial
distance of 66mu.  Lowest roll specifies whether he is closing (in
which case the opponent's base position is ahead) or fleeing (opponent
starts astern).

  Higher roll subtracts low roll; each point of difference can be used
to change heading 1 clock point, or range by 12mu (to a minimum of
42), or starting speed by 6mu/turn.

Prev: Re: Wildly Off-Topic Next: Re: IF stats? was: 3-row hull costs