Prev: RE: Traveller FT/DS/SG Next: Re: Tech interactions was Re: 15mm FCT/Kwa'Zulu pics - Saeed Khalifate, etc.

RE: Traveller FT/DS/SG

From: "David Rodemaker" <dar@h...>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 12:09:41 -0500
Subject: RE: Traveller FT/DS/SG

> > The only one that I haven't really examined was SG, so what have
people
> > done?
>
> I started doing a Traveller conversion for SG2 years ago. The variant
is
> on my web site. Tom Barclay looked at it and he was going to do a
better
> and more complete version, with that posted on stargrunt.ca. My
> understanding is that it's not there yet.
>
> I think the biggest problem you'll face with SG2 Traveller is that the
FMA
> system doesn't give you a very big span of dice values in which to fit
all
> of the tech levels.
>
> To be honest, if I was truly serious about playing Traveller style
games,
> I'd try to get hold of the original Striker rules, or perhaps wait to
see
> what Striker 3 looks like (assuming it's not just a variant on Striker
2).

I agree withy your comments here. Happily, you can get the Striker rules
in
one of Far Frontiers reprint books (not certain which number it is
though)

> I just thought of a way to differentiate Tech:
>
> SG: if the difference in tech level is >2 and < 4 then shift 1 die
type in
> favor for the higher for Armor and Fire power.  If >4 then 2 die
types.
> D12 goes to 2d8, then 2D10, etc.
>
> DS: >2 <4 then add one to armor and 1 chit to fire. >4 then +2 armor
and 2
> chits.
>
> Now to test this!

I look forward to seeing your comments on the playability. I'm not sure
why
armour would increase, I think a shift in die types would make more
sense.
Also you could keep in mind that at the 13/14+ tech level the armour of
troops is considerable - every Imperial marine is in power armour after
-
and carrying FGMP's or PGMP's - quite different from the GZG universe.
SG
already provides for much of what Traveller contains, it's just focused
on
about TL10-12 and is 'optimized' for such.

An alternative might be to use something similar (though not too similar
since the die mechanics are different) to what I did for my FT game.
Divide
the various tech levels into 4-5 different categories [Spacecraft, Lo
Stellar, Average Steller, Hi Stellar, Advanced Stellar (16+)] and every
difference in level provides a +/-1 modifier to all die rolls with the
caveat that a 1 always misses and a 6 always hits...

It's a pretty non-granular system but seems to work ok - and the
possible
range of values means that no matter what the tech level difference
there's
still a decent chance that even a force made of spacecraft (TL6-8) will
be
able to hit Darrien patrol cruisers (TL16+).

I suspect that this is adaptable to SG, I'm just not sure how at the
moment
- I have other things on my mind <g>.

Prev: RE: Traveller FT/DS/SG Next: Re: Tech interactions was Re: 15mm FCT/Kwa'Zulu pics - Saeed Khalifate, etc.