Prev: Re: 15mm FCT/Kwa'Zulu pics - Saeed Khalifate, etc. Next: Tech interactions was Re: 15mm FCT/Kwa'Zulu pics - Saeed Khalifate, etc.

Re: mixing technology force in Dirtside

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 06:19:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: mixing technology force in Dirtside

--- warbeads@juno.com wrote:

> Light Mechanized Reconnaissance Company
> Recon Platoon: Size  2; one FT, GMS/L, PDS/Sup,
> Superior  ECM
> Scout Platoon:  Size 1; one FT, a second APSW,
> Superior ECM
> LAT(R) Platoon: Size 2; MDC-2, GMS/H, Superior ECM

Not bad at all.  I might argue with details, but a
solid organization.  This organization is somewhat
reminiscent of a WWII German Recon BN, with a mix of
companies of varying capabilities.  Very flexible, but
very complex to use.  For a regular line battalion I
would drop the recon coy down to a platoon and add a
second armor or infantry coy.

> Mechanized Infantry Company
> MICV Platoon: Size 3; FT x 2, GMS/L, PDS/Enhanced,
> LAD, Enhanced ECM
> APC Platoon: Size 3; FT x 2, MDC-1, PDS/Basic, LAD,
> Superior ECM
> Assault Rocket Support Platoon: Size 4; SLAM-5,
> PDS/Enhanced, LAD,
> Enhanced ECM

This one is a little wierd.  First, you really need
three maneuver elements, plus a weapons platoon.
Second, having 2 different APC designs in a single
company would really confuse me.

> Armored Company
> LAFV Platoon: Size 3, MDC-3, PDS/Superior, LAD,
> Enhanced ECM
> AFV Platoons: Size 3, MDC-4, PDS/Enhanced, Superior
> ECM
> AFV Platoons: Size 3, MDC-4, PDS/Enhanced, Superior
> ECM

OK, pretty solid tank company.

> Company HQ unit (3 of them - one per Company)
> HQ: Size 3, HQ modules (8 cap points), PDS/Superior,
> LAD, second APSW
> (since HQ module is not a weapon), Superior ECM
> ADS: Size 3, ADS/Enhanced, Enhanced CM
> Mortar section:
> 2 x
> Mortar carrier: Size 2, spare Ammo counter, BAsic
> ECM

ADS with ECM?  Why?  When the sensors are active in
air defense mode, the ECM is nullified.  I also really
prefer to have 2 elements in a section like that.
Better coverage.

> Battalion HQ Command:
> HQ; same as Company HQ vehicle
> Guard Tank; Size 4, MDC-5, PDS/Enhanced, LAD
> VTOL (A): Size 2; HEL-3 (Fixed for 6 cap points) and
> GMS/H
> ADS: SIze 4; ADS/Superior
> HAPC: Size 4; FT x 3, PDS/Superior, LAD, GMS/L,
> Enhanced ECM

What's the HAPC for?  And why not just having 2 of the
regular sized APCs?  Same comment as above re: ADS.
And the VTOL needs a wingman too.

> 3 x SPG: Size 4; Medium Artillery, Extra Ammo load x
> 2, Superior ECM
> CBR Unit: Size 4; CBR Radar, PDS/Superior, LAD,
> Superior ECM

I don't think that's enough artillery, but YMMV.

John

Friends.  Fun.	Try the all-new Yahoo! Messenger.
http://messenger.yahoo.com/