Prev: RE: Mixed Technology Re: 15mm FCT/Kwa'Zulu pics - Saeed Khalifate, etc. Next: Re: [OT] attn. Brian Burger

Re: [SG] Close Combat Re: 15mm FCT/Kwa'Zulu pics - Saeed Khalifate, etc.

From: Adrian Johnson <adrian@s...>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 03:01:59 -0400
Subject: Re: [SG] Close Combat Re: 15mm FCT/Kwa'Zulu pics - Saeed Khalifate, etc.

Hi John,

>> 2 x Assault Squads (8 ORs each)
>> Each Assault Squad includes the Squad Leader, SAW
>> Gunner, and six troopers.
>> Two members of the squad are armed with
>> SMG/Auto-Shotgun, and the five
>> remaining are armed with the standard issue AR.
>
>So, do you find it 'cost-effective' to equip squads
>specifically for close combat?  I never have because I
>have this huge aversion to reducing my ranged
>firepower.  Does it work for you?
>
>John

Yes and no.  Depends on what you mean "does it work".  Is it perfectly
optimized for maximum effectiveness in all situations?	No.

There are eight troopers in the squad, seven of whom are potentially
"riflemen" (and the eighth carrying a SAW).  If using FP2 weapons, that
is
FP14 total (which is a d12 in game effects).  If two are using "assault
weapons", then it goes down to FP10 (d10) at range, which isn't a huge
drop
from the d12 they could have.  Yes, the squad is a bit more brittle in
terms of how fast it might lose its long range effectiveness if it
suffers
casualties.  But since I run mine with flamers instead of SMG's and I
use
"terror" effects and a houserule that allows flame throwers to shoot out
the first rangeband (and NOT just be useful in close assaults), the
flamer
troops add a bit of "flavour" and tactical challenge.

Is it an optimum squad?  Probably not (though that does depend on
situational stuff like terrain and mission parameters).  But it is more
interesting than having every squad in all my platoons organzied the
same
overall way.  I currently have something like 12 fully painted 25mm
Stargrunt platoons, and I own around 20, I think.  I don't want them all
be organized the same... that would be *dull*.	So, I mix things up a
bit.
Besides, I think having the flamers in the force is characteristic of
the
"style" that I imagine for the Saeed Khalifate...

My NI troops are organzied in squads of four, but have really good guns
and
armour.  So, they're very potent, very flexible, but brittle - like
"real-life" commandos.	My NSL are organized right out of the rulebook.
My
FSE platoon is also.  My NAC platoon is similar to the book, though I
split
out a two-figure medic team as a separate 'squad'.  These three are
basically "all rounders".  My Saeed Khalifate troops are organized in a
slightly different way, which in some ways emphasizes both their
strengths
and weaknesses (makes the effect of the strengths and weaknesses more
"extreme").  I find it more interesting that way in games, and have seen
them kick some serious ass when it goes their way.  I've seen them lose
pretty badly too.

I find having mixed forces like this adds tactical challenges (and
interest) during play, and that works for me.

-Adrian

Adrian Johnson
adrian@stargrunt.ca
http://www.stargrunt.ca

Prev: RE: Mixed Technology Re: 15mm FCT/Kwa'Zulu pics - Saeed Khalifate, etc. Next: Re: [OT] attn. Brian Burger