Prev: Re: [DS] Stargate Next: Re: 15mm FCT/Kwa'Zulu pics - Saeed Khalifate, etc.

Fwd: Re: [DS] Stargate

From: "Redleg" <dmaddox1@h...>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 00:05:31 -0000
Subject: Fwd: Re: [DS] Stargate

 "Justin Crough" <jcrough@c...> wrote:
> Besides, I thought the smaller round actually penetrated armour
> better -- at least, from the open sources I've seen.
>
> JGH

Depends on what you consider 'smaller'.

a 9mm pistol/submachinegun round has a bigger diameter than an
assault rifle
round.	(9 millimeters versus 5.56 millimeters.  However the  rifle
round
has a 'longer' cartridge which allows for more propellant.

Theoretically a smaller diameter round, like a thin flechette will
penetrate
armor much better.  By that logic, a 5.56 rifle will have penetration
superiority over the 9mm... then you factor in other variables such
as the
length of the barrel (which determines how long the propellant has to
work
on the projectile and thus it's muzzle velocity) , the grade of
propellant,
the materials the round is made out of, etc.

JP

Prev: Re: [DS] Stargate Next: Re: 15mm FCT/Kwa'Zulu pics - Saeed Khalifate, etc.