Prev: RE: Problems with ordering oversea's... Next: RE: Problems with ordering oversea's...

I just called the Bank for their current policy...

From: "Dean Gundberg" <Dean.Gundberg@n...>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 13:28:36 -0500
Subject: I just called the Bank for their current policy...

> > >When I ordered from Brigade a few years ago (pre-Paypal) I had to
get a
> > >cheque in GBP, and the surcharge alone was $45, before the
> actual amount I
> > >wanted to send was included.  This was at a major bank chain in a
small
> > >metropolitan area.
> >
> > Strewth! And  I thought UK banks ripped us off! Last
foreign-currency
> > cheque I had drawn up here (Several hundred GBP converted to Aussie
> > Dollars) cost me about 6 GBP in charges, IIRC.....
>
>    They just need to shop around for better banks.  I have an
"advantage"
>  checking account from my bank because we got the mortgage through
them.
>  Foreign money orders are no-charge because of it.

Since this continued to be discussed, I just called my bank to see what
their current policies are.

Background:
I am in Fargo, North Dakota (ya sure you betcha), a decent sized metro
area
of 150,000 people.  When I got the cheque before it was through Norwest,
larger regional bank, but Norwest has since been bought by Wells Fargo,
large bank nationally in the US.

Current Bank Policy:
I would need to get a 'Foreign Draft' in GBP.  Up front cost is $25, no
discount for having an 'advantage' type of account.  They no longer keep
the
drafts at their local main branch either. I need to order it and they
will
draw the funds from my account and then wait 7-10 business days for it
show up from whatever central location now has them.

At another location in the US that has more demand for 'Foreign Drafts'
the
process is probably easier, faster and costs less, but here at lest, it
is
still a frustrating process so I am glad that the places I want to order
from take credit cards or paypal.

Dean Gundberg

Starship Combat News
The latest information on Space Games and Miniatures
http://www.star-ranger.com
dean@star-ranger.com

Prev: RE: Problems with ordering oversea's... Next: RE: Problems with ordering oversea's...