Prev: RE: Vietnam and modern combat Next: RE: Vietnam and modern combat

Re: [OFFICIAL] New stuff....

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:25:21 +0100
Subject: Re: [OFFICIAL] New stuff....

>Jon wrote:
>
>>  1) Following its launch at Salute, we've got some stock of the new
>>  Hammer's Slammers book in:
>
>Speaking of which, has anyone read enough of it to post a review? Is
>this a skirmish game, platoon level game, company level game? What
>kind of rule mechanisms are used? Has anyone had a chance to play
>it? How quickly does it play?

I've only had the chance to take a brief glance at it so far; seems
pretty simple and basic, fairly intro-level stuff. 1 to 1 figure
scale (I mean one fig = one man, before somebody makes a smartass
comment about 1800mm miniatures... <grin>). Basic units seem to be
fireteams/squads, so I guess it's around platoon to company level
"grand skirmish" (kind of like SGII!). John Lambshead wrote the
rules; they do not have any connection to the Silent Death-derived
version used in the Warlords' Salute demo games a couple of years ago
and still available on the Salute website (I think).

Frankly, for experienced gamers I wouldn't say buy the book for the
rules; buy the book for the info and pretty pictures, consider the
rules a bonus that may or may not be of interest. There is enough
organisational and weapon data to make conversions to your favourite
rules set quite easy.

Jon (GZG)