Prev: RE: Newbie question on second Main drive hit Next: Re: Freighter thoughts

The Test List (was: Re: FTJava V0.13 released)

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 20:37:21 +0100
Subject: The Test List (was: Re: FTJava V0.13 released)

>  > I think it requires the patience to read an OO post on
>>  statistics all the way to the end.	So I could never
>>  join.
>>  John
>
>You just have to *look* at the stats, not actually understand them.
>That's worked for me for years... :-)

Heh. Yep, me too. I may not always agree with Oerjan on concepts, but
I DO trust him to get the stats right.....  ;-)

Actually, since the subject of the test list has been raised, perhaps
I'd better give everyone an "official" explanation.

The test list is a small group, maybe a couple of dozen members or so
at present. It is deliberately kept that way because test groups with
too many members become unwieldy and self-defeating - there is MORE
than enough variation of opinion among the members we already have
that most things get brought up one way or another. When the group
consensus feels that something needs a wider input, then some things
will get posted to the main list for general consideration and
feedback, as we've done recently.
The test group is very much NOT a bunch of yes-men and a**-kissers -
anything I post to them usually gets torn apart with great ferocity,
which is exactly what they're there for!! I think the current group
is just about the optimum size for this process to work well while
still generating something useful at the end - there are enough that
everyone can get heard, but without a few particularly loud voices
drowning out all the rest....  <grin>.

Admission to the test list is strictly by invitation only, either
from me or by recommendation by an existing list member - usually if
the proposer feel that the person in question has a particular talent
or viewpoint on the game that will be a positive contribution to the
testing.

I must just say (and I really hope no-one will be offended by this)
that I'd prefer it if people did NOT ask to join the test group,
because it's often difficult and embarrassing to have to refuse such
requests; having said that, if you want a chance to get on it then
the best way is to make regular, thoughtful and constructive posts to
the main list - then if and when we DO want to add another member or
two to the test group, your name may very well come up.....  ;-)

Jon (GZG)

Prev: RE: Newbie question on second Main drive hit Next: Re: Freighter thoughts