Prev: Re: [FT] Fighter thoughts Next: Re: A bit OT : Turnsignals on a Land Raider

Re: [FT] Fighter thoughts

From: Matt Tope <mptope@o...>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 13:53:21 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Fighter thoughts

Grant A. Ladue wrote:

>Interesting.  BDN's and SDN's frequently have 4+ PDS and 1 or more
groups of
 >fighters.  They could well be better off dropping the PDS and adding
another
 >fighter group.  At longer ranges (where it would be difficult to
seriously
 >effect the fighters), the fighters screen the ship and shoot down
missiles.
 >At close range, they can break off and attack the enemy along with
their ship.
 >The negative is that the enemy can shoot up your missile/fighter
defenses, the
 >increased mass (not that big a deal on the larger ships), and the
potential of
 >running out of cef.  The positive is the flexibility, increased
effectiveness
 >against incoming, no need for fire control, no vulnerability to
threshold
 >checks, and fire directed at your defenses is fire *not* directed at
your
 >ship.
 >  Might be worthwhile to try big ships with dedicated fighter escorts
and few
 >or no PDS.

Not sure I would want to rely wholly on fighters as my defence against
PBL's...

Also bear in mind that in typical encounters the amount of ordanance
fired would often exceed the number of available fighter groups tasked
to intercept it.

PDS and fighters definetly, but just fighters...eeek.

Also bear in mind any fighters tasked to intercepting ordanace will have
to run the gammut of enemy fighter fire before they could engage their
targets.

Regards,

Matt Tope

Prev: Re: [FT] Fighter thoughts Next: Re: A bit OT : Turnsignals on a Land Raider