Prev: Re: Vector movement fighters Next: RE: [SGII] Dwarven Forge

Vector movement fighters

From: "Leszek 'Leslie' Karlik" <leslie@e...>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 00:36:13 +0200
Subject: Vector movement fighters

OK, yesterday I've played may first Full Thrust game ever.
(I got the FT rulebook, Polish edition [1] for a Christmas present).

The battle was a three sided one, or rather, two against one (my 400
points NAC task force and an ESU 400 pts task force have joined forces
against a 800 points NSL force. We won, though the initiative
advantage we had in shooting (since ESU and NAC got in two shots for
each one from the NSL at the beginning of the round) may have
contributed to it (this, and the extremely competent master gunner on
HMS Vanderburg, who took out the KRS Maximillian with a reactor hit
on the second damage treshold :->>>).

[I don't like this initiative advantage that a two-player alliance has
 over a one player task force, though the ability of a larger point
 total fleet to field large ships may be somewhat of a counter.]

Anyway, we elected to play using the vector movement system
(we don't want to play "battleships in spaaace!"), which may be one
factor that contributed to the NSL defeat - HMS Vandenburg, with its
thrust of 6, was able to execute close pass to the Maximillan and flip
after passing past it, to bring all the guns to bear (and take it two
damage tresholds down in one salvo), but since it was the first FT
game for all of us, we decided not to use fighters.

The problem is, we intend to use bigger fleets next time, so fighters
will have to come into play. However, I'm not sure whether using
vector movement for fighters won't break stuff too badly - the FT FAQ
says that fighters keep their normal rules even when vector movement
is used, but I find this somewhat... disconcerting.

I first asked on SFConsim-L and on the Polish Full Thrust list on
yahoo, but I decided to come here anyway. I've skimmed the archives
but I haven't found any rules for fighter vector movement. So,
Is there any elegant way to deal with this? Or should we leave the
fighters as they are?

I'm inclined to give the fighters an ability to move their future
destination marker by 24 MU in any direction during their movement
phase, but make them vector (escorting or attacking a ship requires
matching vectors with it), and I'm split between either making the
additional 6 MU move (paid by with CEF) displace the fighter and the
vector marker in the same direction and by the same amount of MU, or
simply moving the future position marker by up to 6 MU and moving the
fighters. The second solution seems to suck, though, the first one
should be playable.

Leslie
[1] It's very nicely done - it incorporates More Thrust (without the
Xeno fleets, though) and Fleet Book 1 rules and ship designs.
--
Sol-Earthsa Leszek Leslie Karlik dam Posen;	 leslie @ ideefixe . pl
	      Drone, Offensive; Special Circumstances, Contact Section.

Prev: Re: Vector movement fighters Next: RE: [SGII] Dwarven Forge