Prev: Re: solitaire cloaking?? Next: Mines was RE: FT: boom and zoom tactics

PSB for the Graser and ATM

From: Ian Downing <iandowning112@y...>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:22:40 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: PSB for the Graser and ATM

Can this list clarify the PSB behind the two new weapons? I am new to
the list but a search of the archive did not reveal any new PSB for
these systems. Apologies if this subject has already been done to death.

The first problem I have with the PSB for the graser is that it’s
affected by screens, which, as I understand the PSB, are EM in nature
and affect charged particles only.  To my knowledge gamma rays are
uncharged photons of extremely short wavelength. The only thing that may
deflect or absorb them are lots of lead, concrete, perhaps a vapour
shroud or the gravity well of a black hole. If the Hu’Mans had black
hole tech then they should have gravitic drives and such shields would
deflect anything!  I could also think of a few problems, like it could
be similar inside to being inside a cloaking field.

The second PSB problem for me is the anti-matter missile, if its hit
(fail a threshold roll) while still in the launch tubes I fear (for my
ships anyway!) there would be a reasonable chance (greater than 50%)
they would detonate and eliminate the carrying ship. Lets face it
anti-matter, once released from its containment does not require a
detonator. Even if, as one source suggested, they just “fizz” rather
than explode, the gamma rays released as the anti -matter is annihilated
by normal matter would probably be enough to sterilize the ship, leaving
it to the enemy, although it would require some decontamination!

My own preference would have been for a bomb-pumped particle beam
missile powered by a standard fusion warhead, which could operate
identically as the AM missile does, an area effect weapon. (PSB;
several/many focusing lenses per bomb) One advantage the bomb-pumped
particle beam is the PSB angle that research to improve it leads
logically (at least more than most PSB) to grasers via improved lasing
mediums and gravitic focusing lenses etc, thus neatly linking the two
systems. However the major benefit from my point–of-view would be there
would be no ((little?) chance of an unintentional detonation. (I would
have said X-ray laser, but then there is the shield problem again.)

I realize that the stats are such for play balance, but can we have some
PSB which can make it easier to suspend disbelief. It could be as simple
as a name change.

Regards

Ian

  Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today!
Download Messenger Now

Prev: Re: solitaire cloaking?? Next: Mines was RE: FT: boom and zoom tactics