Prev: Re: Rant Warning below Next: Transhuman Space AKV's

Re: Genericity of grasers (was Re: UNSC beta and FB3)

From: Jerry Acord <acord@i...>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:25:26 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Re: Genericity of grasers (was Re: UNSC beta and FB3)

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Noam Izenberg wrote:

> FT is pitched as a generic
> game, but it is _also_ a genre game of its own. As long as the
> mechanics are generic, the names don't have to be.

I agree; at some point you have to ask yourself, how generic can you get

without essentially requiring the players to make up everything
themselves? (Players of the RPG "Fudge", you know who you are... ;)

What if my universe has only missiles, no beam / other energy weapons at
all?  I could just as easily argue for the "specificity" of beams in
this
case...  Let alone the fact that the Fleet Books aren't exactly
"generic"!

Cheers,
Jerry

--
Jerry Acord [+] acord@imagiware.com [+] http://imagiware.com/acord

Prev: Re: Rant Warning below Next: Transhuman Space AKV's