Prev: [OT] Fleets-SG1 Re: Any not-Aliens out there in 25/28mm? Next: Fighter groups other than 6 was Re: Fighters and Hangers

Re: graser: the uber weapon

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 19:56:53 +0100
Subject: Re: graser: the uber weapon

Glen Bailey wrote:

>In theory (since I haven't test it, yet), the Graser looks to be a very

>powerful weapon.

It is also a very *expensive* weapon... particularly the larger types of

course, but even the G1 is quite pricey.

>I'll know for sure when I tell Steve "Mr. Mixed-Tech WW2 uber
>battlewagons" about
>them and see if he changes his entire fleet over to use them.

More importantly, see if he sticks to it after a few battles :-)
Frankly,
if he didn't switch to Pulsers when FB2 was published I don't think
he'll
use Grasers exclusively either.

>But what got me to thinking about the graser's power is
>using a class-1 graser in a strike boat.
>
>"Uber Boaten"
>Mass: 7, NPV: 28
>Hull 1, rows: 3
>MD: 7, FTL
>FC: 1
>Armament: 1x class-1 Graser (F)

Compare it to this one:

TMF 7
NPV 30
Hull 1 (3 rows)
MD 7
FTL
1x FCS
1x Pulser-C (F)

The G1-armed ship has 18mu range instead of 12mu, but OTOH it only
inflicts
on average 2.8 pts per shot (against unscreened targets) compared to the

Pulser-C's 4.8; I'd rate them as about equally nasty.

>The graser-1 has less range but more damage potential than
>a pulse torpedo-armed strikeboat, which will mass at
>10 and cost 37.  The pulse torpedo is longer ranged,
>but the chance to hit is slim at those ranges.

When you have a dozen or more ships firing, even those slim hit
probabilities add up to significant damage. In addition, while the G1
strikeboat has a larger damage *potential* than the PT-armed one (since
graser can potentially roll an infinite number of hits through very
lucky
re-rolls and a P-torp can't), the only ranges where its *average* damage

beats the P-torp are 6-18 mu against unscreened targets and 12-18 mu
against targets with screen-1. Against targets with level-2 screens the
P-torp is better at all ranges.

>Maybe the mass of the class-1 graser is too small?

It is less "too small" than the standard Class-2 Beam Battery is too
small :-/

>Can Grasers, particularly class-1s, be fired at fighters, missiles, or
>plasma bolts?

Grasers have no point-defence mode, no.

>It doesn't say they can, but  they are a beam-type weapon and class-1
>beams can.

Graser Batteries =|= Beam Batteries.

>Then there's the other side: the x3 mass for every class above 3.

Yep. Compare the larger Graser classes with Beam classes with similar
max
ranges (within 6 mu) and you'll soon see why.

>I have a hard time justifying a class-4 beam over 2x class-3 beams.

Play on larger tables. The beam points values were set to keep larger
beams
from dominating completely on large tables; this makes them overpriced
on
smaller tables.

Regards,

Oerjan