Prev: The ECC VII Quote Board Next: RE: graser: the uber weapon

graser: the uber weapon

From: <bail9672@b...>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 09:02:47 -0500
Subject: graser: the uber weapon

In theory (since I haven't test it, yet), the Graser looks to
be a very powerful weapon.  I'll know for sure when I tell
Steve "Mr. Mixed-Tech WW2 uber battlewagons" about
them and see if he changes his entire fleet over to use them.

But what got me to thinking about the graser's power is
using a class-1 graser in a strike boat.

"Uber Boaten"
Mass: 7, NPV: 28
Hull 1, rows: 3
MD: 7, FTL
FC: 1
Armament: 1x class-1 Graser (F)

(The non-FTL version: Mass 6, NPV 25, MD 8.  I made
a soap-bubble "Carrier", mass 34, that carried 16 of these;
equivalent cost would get you 18 of the FTL versions).

The graser-1 has less range but more damage potential than
a pulse torpedo-armed strikeboat, which will mass at
10 and cost 37.  The pulse torpedo is longer ranged,
but the chance to hit is slim at those ranges.

Maybe the mass of the class-1 graser is too small?

Can Grasers, particularly class-1s, be fired at fighters,
missiles, or plasma bolts?  It doesn't say they can, but
they are a beam-type weapon and class-1 beams can.

Then there's the other side: the x3 mass for every class
above 3.  I have a hard time justifying a class-4 beam
over 2x class-3 beams.	With Grasers, I could have
3x class-3s vs. 1x class-4.  The class-3 graser already
out ranges every weapon except the Nova Cannon,
Sa'vasku, and very large beam weapons.

Glen

P.S.  I had to edit my post, I was spelling "Graser"
as "Grazer" each time.	I'm so American.  :)

Prev: The ECC VII Quote Board Next: RE: graser: the uber weapon