Prev: variable hulls Next: Re: Fighters and Hangers

Re: Fighters and Hangers

From: Randy Joiner <rljoiner@m...>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 11:33:20 -0500
Subject: Re: Fighters and Hangers

Fine...  and a good point.  Some nit-picking, 10 fighter are not likely
to kill a cruiser in one turn.	Cruiser's usually have PDS.  Bob was
foolish for jumping the fighter's already assigned to attack, he needs
to jump ones that haven't been assigned.

And there's some easy rules to deal with this problem.	(Dirtside has
solved this problem, in an elegent way, IMHO)
One-  Balance Initiative, he who has the most figures/counters/etc moves

until a balance has been reached:  Ie.	Bob has 1, Jack has 4, Jack
moves 3, then Bob move his 1, then Jack finishes.  Or, if Bob win's
initiative, Jack moves all of them, then Bob moves his 1.
Two-  Proportional:  Bob has 2, Jack has 6.  Jack moves 3 per 1 of
Bob's.
Three-	If you allow variable group numbers, why enforce grouping in
space?	Ie.  Bob has 1 group of 6, Jack has 6 groups of 1.  Bob splits
his group into 6 groups of 1, and engage's as per normal.

Alpha:	Per PDS can target up to 6 fighters, with 6's and re-rolls
spilling over group's until 6 fighters are destroyed, or the re-rolls
stop.
Beta:  Fighter's in groups less than 6 no longer get 2 points of damage
per 6, and no re-rolls.

Any of those may work (no playtesting done yet), and one, or a
combination of one, would do the job fine.

Finally, as I read the rules, I see no reason why groups of 1, 2, 10 or
50 aren't allowed.  The rules explicitly provide for mass per fighter,
of hanger space, thus giving the ability to hold partial groups of
fighters as is.

Rand.

agoodall@att.net wrote:

>Randall wrote:
>

>>IIRC, fighter groups can split thier dice to multiple groups, correct?

>>Seems to give the initiative advantage to your group, since you get to

>>fire 6 times (one die per 1 of Jack's fighters) for every once Jack
>>get's to fire.
>>

>This assumes you want your fighters to take on his.
>
>Here's another example. Let's make it shorter: 12 fighters in 2
squadrons of 6 for Bob, and 12 fighters in 12 squadrons of 1 for Jack.
Jack goes first due to initiative. Jack moves a fighter to Cruiser 1.
Bob moves a fighter squadron to Cruiser 1 to help defend it. Jack moves
a fighter to Cruiser 2. Bob moves his second squadron to defend Cruiser
2. Bob has finished moving. Jack moves the rest of his fighters, all 10
of them, to Cruiser 3. Bob spends an endurance to fight off two
fighters. Jack, meanwhile, slices into a cruiser. The question now is:
is it worth losing 2 fighters (and potentially doing 2 fighters worth of
damage to the other guy) in exchange for a cruiser?