Prev: Re: John Atkinsons' return Next: RE: [GZG] Keeping games moving Re: After Con Report - ECC VII

Re: dreadnought thrust was Re: Fighters and Hangers

From: Jared Hilal <jlhilal@y...>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 18:12:26 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: dreadnought thrust was Re: Fighters and Hangers

--- "Grant A. Ladue" <ladue@cse.Buffalo.EDU> wrote:

> > I encountered similar problems when doing the conversion of FT I
> > to WW2 Naval - for instance an Iowa class battleship had 9 Class
> > A (Beam 3) guns mounted in three turrets, twenty Class C (Beam 1)
> > mounted on the sides, 10 PDS and 4 ADS.  Belt armor was
> > represented by shields, but ignored if fire came from the
> > front/rear arc or from long range (plunging fire). Hull boxes was
> > based on displacement, roughly 1 box per 1,000 tons with some
> > fudge factor based on anecdotal evidence of strength of design.
>
> Did the "armored box" design of the Iowa's cut across the front
> and rear of the ship?  There should be some kind of armor against
> plunging fire as well I would think.

Yes and Yes.

All KC armor
12.1" upper belt over 0.875" Special Tensile Steel backing
12.0" lower belt over 0.875" Special Tensile Steel backing

 1.5" weather deck
 over 6" armored deck
 over 0.625" suspended splinter deck

11.3" bulkheads fore and aft

and for completeness:

barbettes 11.3" behind belt, 17.3" exposed

19.7" turret face
 9.5" turret side
12.0" turret rear
 7.25" turret roof

17.5" conning tower w/ 7.25" roof

Prev: Re: John Atkinsons' return Next: RE: [GZG] Keeping games moving Re: After Con Report - ECC VII