Prev: Re: After Con Report - ECC VII Next: Re: After Con Report - ECC VII

Re: Fighters and Hangers

From: agoodall@a...
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 19:14:16 +0000
Subject: Re: Fighters and Hangers

Jared wrote:

> I couldn't find numbers for the older 12" and 13.5", but they would be
> in line with the 15", which is an older gun, whereas the 14" Mk VII
and
> 16" are 20-30 years newer.

I've done extensive work on a Russo-Japanese War version of Full Thrust.
I set it aside for a time, but recently I've been opening it back up.

The 12" guns at the turn of the previous century may have had
theoretical ranges close to the 5" you cited (I don't have my Conways or
Janes available, or Warship International), but actual engagement range
was far less, with battles opening up at closer to 18,000 yards. You can
chop down your ranges if you know the ranges that most battles opened
at.

Of course the turn of the 20th century saw guns with good range but
pretty pitiful fire control...

> I don't mean a "lucky strike".  What I meant was one system (the Main
> Drive) provides thrust for *Acceleration Only*, while a separate
system
> (the Maneuvering Drive) provides maneuvering thrust for course change
> and deceleration.  As two separate systems, they take Threshold Checks
> separately, so that either one can be damaged without affecting the
> other.

I did it an entirely different way. Ships in my game have a top speed
equal to the ship's historic top speed. They lose speed automatically
each time a hull row is lost (my ships had 5 hull rows, not 4). This was
stolen from _General Quarters_. I added a number of othe critical hit
systems, one of which was a rudder jam forcing the ship to go straight,
turn right only, or turn left only.

At any rate, I hadn't thought to look at MT for ideas. Instead, I used
beams to represent guns, but broke them down into 6" range bands instead
of 12". Armour was a modifier to the roll, ala shields. I'll have to
look at MT again, though, as I'm not hugely crazy about this idea.

--
Allan Goodall		   agoodall@att.net
http://www.hyperbear.com   agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: Re: After Con Report - ECC VII Next: Re: After Con Report - ECC VII