Prev: Re: After Con Report - ECC VII Next: Re: Fighters and Hangers

Re: After Con Report - ECC VII

From: John K Lerchey <lerchey@a...>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 13:09:39 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: After Con Report - ECC VII

I've actually been thinking about this issue for the last couple of
days.
One thing (at least for DSII) might be to give each player far fewer
units.	I'm thinking like 1-3 platoons per.  Makes for a much smaller
number of units, which means less die rolling, which means less time.
Additionally, if someone gets really hammered and loses most or all of
their command, it makes seeing the potential for resultion much more
likely.  That is, if lose 7 of my 8 tanks, I clearly did not *win*,
unless, of course, I'm the the only one left.

I'll be kicking this around more, and will likely try to get in
playtests
along these lines in the coming year.  I have some ideas for some DSII
games that would work with smallish forces, so assuming I can get them
ironed out, I'll be thinking about running one or more at ECC VIII.

John K. Lerchey
Computer and Network Security Coordinator
Computing Services
Carnegie Mellon University

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 agoodall@att.net wrote:

> Indy wrote (along with a good AAR):
>
> > Waiting now eagerly for ECC VIII. Got lots of ideas for scenarios
that
> > I can do... (15mm OGRE, anyone? ;-D )
>
> At GenCon a few years ago I played in a 25mm Ogre game. *grin*
>
> It sounds like a number of the con games were too long. Do you have
any suggestions for running shorter games? I realize that it's very hard
to make a multi-player game where everyone has some chance to play and
_not_ have it take all day. Perhaps the same, smaller scenario run
simultaneously is the key (though this means that you need more
terrain). I'd be interested in your take on this.