Prev: Re: SGII And Points Next: Re: SGII And Points

ECC-VII: short visit, long report

From: Noam Izenberg <noam.izenberg@j...>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:24:29 -0500
Subject: ECC-VII: short visit, long report

I had a great time during my short stint at ECC-VII. My son (6) and I
drove up saturday morning and we were there for the am and afternoon
sessions, cutting out after dinnertime. Zev spent his allowance on
minis, helped roll dice, and in general was really impressed with the
whole thing.  He did remark on the general lack of women in the event.
I had no idea what he was talking about. He was really happy and proud
to have been invited along. I think he acquitted himself pretty well at
the con, and I'm grateful to everyone there for their kindness and
tolerance.

Stuart Murray's Cinegrunt (The Mysterious Island of Dr. Carter) was my
first chance to play any type of StarGrunt, and it was great fun. My
Witchdoctor bought the farm relatively early, still believing he could
con his god into helping him off the chief so _he_ could marry as many
women as he wanted to. The natives in general started getting their act
together late in the game trying to stampede dinosaurs into the various
factions invading the island, though not with enough effect by the
close of the game. Of the surviving surviving (i.e. not squashed or
eaten by dinosaurs, or shot in the head by Great White Hunters)
scientists, two made off with a couple pterodactyl eggs (ensuring
everlasting fame, or at least decent breakfast), and the two daring
female volcanologists, after barely escaping abduction by natives,
secured a ruby from the base of the volcano large enough for them to
buy several universities.

I'm not sure what happened to the Brits, Americans, and Germans - the
natives didn't really distinguish the various thieves of the Tears of
God (apart from recognizing the Gentleman in the White Suit who came
from the Giant Gleaming Fish of God as their deity), and the scientists
weren't interested in politics.

Well. It all made perfect sense at the time. Zev enjoyed the dinosaurs,
but I think he was as frustrated as I was that the natives kept getting
themselves killed. Storming the German's compound might have gotten the
native their rubies back, but the natives don't know much about
cannons. I thought shimmying up the legs of the Victorian Walker and
taking it over would have been fun, but climbing natives are not a real
match for pistols.

The afternoon game was Dean Gundberg's Sci-Fi crossover, where the good
guy fleets (B-5, BSG, Rebels) were outnumbered 4 to 5 by Evil (Empire
and Klingons). We didn't do badly, but a too-hard turn brought my Omega
too close up against a D-7+C-9 squadron, and I 'd sent my fighter
escort off to aid the Super-Star Destroyer assault. I think my best
snapshot that encompasses the "crossoverness" of the crossover was my
Omega staring down three D7's in the front arc, with four squadrons of
TIE fighters swarming around the ships. Losing initiative on that round
really hurt, since the Klingon fire took out both my forward grasers,
really cramping my return. The TIEs also shouldn't have been the
problem they were, doing damage to ships only on a 6 (+reroll) but they
did over 10 points in one attack, and kicking me over an extra
threshold a turn earlier than I might have.  When Zev rolled my dice,
we did well, as I expected, but when he was distracted and I took over,
we suffered greatly. In the end, the forces of light did not prevail,
but it was grand.

It was great meeting and talking Jon T in person, and I've already
started putting together the NI minis I got from him. If the stars
align correctly in the future, I hope someday to have the privilege of
gaming with him.

In the "flesh" I really like the look of the NI minis - they've got
this nifty stylistic twist to them a shade of retro-'stremlined' -
Flash Gordon-y look to them when you look close, but more modern
UN-meets-Japan style if you step back. Sure I'm biased, but I really do
like them.

In all, my stint at ECC-7 was short but sweet. I would have liked to
stay for the later session, and to have had more time to talk to folks,
but I will make do with the electronic medium for now. I hope to make
the next one.

Bring One Maze	  (to Noam Izenberg's Maze potluck)

Prev: Re: SGII And Points Next: Re: SGII And Points