Prev: Re: SGII And Points Next: ECC-VII: short visit, long report

Re: SGII And Points

From: agoodall@a...
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 15:10:14 +0000
Subject: Re: SGII And Points

Glen wrote:

> In [gag, choke, gasp] defense of some of the reportedly better aspects
of
> the company's efforts, I have not seen Epic or Rogue Trader rules
which
> some people, who are superficially sane at least, report as good
> products.

I have _Rogue Trader_. It has problems. It uses a "move then fire"
sequence that many serious wargame designers considered obsolete in the
late 70s, let alone a decade later. There are no penalties for moving
then firing. There are no opportunity fire rules (which were later
called "overwatch" rules, and added in a White Dwarf issue). There are
no command/control rules, other than the fact that the leader of the
squad is your best guy. I can't remember if there were rules for cover,
but I think there were.

However, they resulted in a fun skirmish game. I converted the system by
adding overwatch rules and a modified _Squad Leader_ turn sequence
(which didn't allow you to move if you fired in the Prep Fire phase).
This worked well, and gave a fast paced game. Okay, leaders were still
too powerful, and there was no command/control, but the game was fun.

The main problem was the same as with any wargame: players tended to
fight bigger battles with it than were reasonable. Then it fell into the
arms race spiral, where new figures were more powerful and began to rule
the game. I still have a copy of the rules (in a binder, as the book
fell apart) but I finally sold off all of my figures, including my
beloved space dwarves.

I liked the original _Space Marine_ and still have it, though I haven't
played it in ages. I'm keeping the figures for use in DS2. Oerjan
actually likes _Epic 40K_, so that's piqued my interest in picking up
the rules.

> And I have collected a few fantasy human figures in grab bags
> that were identified as possibly 'early' GW figures that were fairly
> reasonable.

Yes, those old Citadel figures were well priced and pretty good basic
fantasy figures. I sold off all of those, too! *L*

--
Allan Goodall
agoodall@att.net

Prev: Re: SGII And Points Next: ECC-VII: short visit, long report