Prev: RE: Off to ECC! :-) Next: Re: SGII And Points

Re: SGII And Points

From: agoodall@a...
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 14:57:02 +0000
Subject: Re: SGII And Points

Mark wrote:

> Even after I tried explain
> Jon's reasoning for this, they told me that GZG doesn't want to make
money
> because "powergamers and munchkins are the only gamers in the SF
market."
> Without points "you might as well be playing historical wargames."

You should have asked if they were powergamers or munchkins! *L* Or, you
should have said, "You wouldn't like SG2 anyway. You need to use cover,
and fire lanes, and icky stuff like that."

It's a religious war, and you're not going to convince them otherwise. I
thought that their comment about historical wargaming was telling. For
them, the metagame of "how do I tweak my points and pick units with the
right rule loopholes to win" is important. It's why _Magic: The
Gathering_ became so popular. You can "play the game" in the privacy of
your parent's basement when there is no one around, in the form of
building your deck or army. Then you get to play it at the local store.

Jon's aiming at a different market. They can't see that, and they never
will.

--
Allan Goodall		   agoodall@att.net
http://www.hyperbear.com   agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: RE: Off to ECC! :-) Next: Re: SGII And Points