Prev: Re: Laserlight's FT Lite rules Next: Re: Submittal: Rim World Concordium- Long

Re: Laserlight's FT Lite

From: agoodall@a...
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:40:00 +0000
Subject: Re: Laserlight's FT Lite

Matt wrote:

> Whilst of course the Americans take out the correct vowel and leave
the
> wrong one in, armor instead of armur, color instead of colur.

Given the pronunciation of the word, shouldn't it be spelled "kuller"?
*L*

> And as for the Tasmanian pronounciation of Launceston, it makes my
Cornish
> blood boil!

You should hear the way they pronounce words down here in Louisiana. It
was settled by the French (from Quebec, actually), but the
pronunciations have changed quite markedly. Part of this is because
Cajun French is derived from 17th century French, as is Quebecois
French. Part of the strange pronunciation is just being separated from
the mother country.

For instance, the suburb of New Orleans (the proper pronunciation of New
Orleans is either "New Or-lins", shortened to "Nawlins" by a lot of
locals, or "New Or-lee-ans"; it is _never_ "New Or-leens") known as
Metairie is pronounced "Mat-er-ee". This is the same country where the
football player with the name "Fav-ruh" (spelled Favre) is pronounced
"Farv". There's a town here in northeast Louisiana called "Delhi". It's
pronounced "Del-high".

Some of the place names have interesting spellings because they are
Indian words spelled by French settlers. The parish (like a county) that
I live in is Ouachita, which is pronounced "Wash-i-tah". If Jon does
another set of NAC ships based on Indian tribal names, like the Tacoma,
I'm going to give him a bunch of southern tribes, like Ouachita, Tensas
(pronounced Ten-saw) and Natchez to use.

> PS- I take it Grasers can share fire controls with regular beams and
pulse
> torps, given the relativley low number of FC's used by some of the UN
> capital classes. Or is this not the case?

Yes, that's the intention. Things were messier when p-torps required a
fire control of their own, but Jon has officially removed that
requirement. Now you need a single fire control per enemy target (a ship
if it's a beam, p-torp, graser, etc., or a system if it's a needle
beam).

--
Allan Goodall		   agoodall@att.net
http://www.hyperbear.com   agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: Re: Laserlight's FT Lite rules Next: Re: Submittal: Rim World Concordium- Long