Prev: Re: simple rules for non-gamers Next: Re: [GZG] Bindings and how to treat them Re: simple rules for non-gamers

Re: simple rules for non-gamers

From: agoodall@a...
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:49:07 +0000
Subject: Re: simple rules for non-gamers

Dom wrote:

> The only thing that ever annoyed me about RT was the fact that 2
months
> later they released WH3 (or was it WH4) and moved some the the system
> along somewhat. It'd have been nice if they'd been the same...

It was Warhammer 3, and it was a bit longer than 2 months, if I remember
correctly.

There were a number of annoying things in Rogue Trader. There was the
"move then fire" turn sequence, which had been pretty much abandoned by
serious wargames by the late 1970s/early 1980s. There was the fact that
there was no real penalty for firing while moving. There was no
opportunity fire rule.

I changed the play sequence to a simplified version of the original
Squad Leader and it played rather well. I can't remember what I did for
a penalty for moving and firing, I may have just prevented figures from
moving when firing, but it worked. I added an opportunity fire rule,
which GW themselves added in White Dwarf near the end of RT's official
life span. I remember enjoying the game, but lost interest when it
became clear that GW was fostering an arms race, and if you didn't have
the latest-and-greatest you were in trouble.

> Actually, that wasn't the only annoying thing. The tendancy of the
> rules to fall apart when you read them was also quite annoying...

Yes, that was a pain. I wrote to them and they actually sent me a
replacement copy of RT. I ended up selling it on eBay last year, though
I still have the original which I pulled out of its binding, three-hole
punched and put in a binder. I've since sold all of my GW minis except
for the original and 2nd edition Space Marine stuff, much of which I
intend to use with DS2 one of these days.

--
Allan Goodall		   agoodall@att.net
http://www.hyperbear.com   agoodall@hyperbear.com