Prev: [FT] Photo's of Warships Next: Re: [FT] Photo's of Warships

Re: Fwd: Re: Non-Canon Japanese fleet designs for review

From: FlakMagnet72 <flakmagnet@t...>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:15:10 -0500
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Non-Canon Japanese fleet designs for review

On Tuesday 10 February 2004 12:23 pm, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:
> FlakMagnet72 wrote:
>  >>Though I'm the resident FT-guru when it comes to my local gaming
>  >>group, I am a relative newbie to the game compared to most of you
on
>  >>this list, so constructive criticism is welcome, even invited.  If
>  >>my designs apply hard-vacuum (as opposed to floating in it) please
>  >>let me know how you'd change them.
>
> Haven't had time for any deeper tactical analyses, only to check if
the
> designs are legal :-(

Thanks for that!

> ***
> Bakemono CT: OK, but could equally well be TMF 14/NPV 48. (A classic
> example of how rounding of fractions introduces unintended breakpoints
in a
> design system, BTW - cf. our off-list discussions <g>)

I'll check that out and amend it.  Saving mass and points is good.

> ***
> Soyokaze DD: Legal design - but you are aware that FB1 and later only
> allows ships with thrust-5 engines to make 2-point turns, no? In
Cinematic,
> this ship will probably have problems bringing its P-torp to bear.

We've never played cinematic, and I don't think we intend to, so
probably not
a problem.

> ***
>
>  >Well, my design for the Yamato is 1 MASS higher than it should have
>  >been. I've narrowed the arcs of two of the Class 3's to make up the
>  >different plus some extra savings besides.
>
> That leaves the ship with quite a lot of unused mass, allowing you to
> shrink the design further. What does the new design look like?

I'll try to remember to share that.  I think it's on my PDA's CF card
here at
the office...

> ***
> Musashi BDN: The points value given includes a Standard fighter group;
the
> ship itself only costs 485 pts. It is generally more useful to give
the
> carrier's own NPV separately from the cost of its fighters, since not
all
> fighter types cost the same amount of points.

I designed it "as played" but when I make up "pretty" SSD's for it, I'll

definitely consider that suggestion.  It could save me some
time/explaining.

> ***
> Hiryu CVL:
>				   Mass    Cost
> Mass = 166 (DN)	  -	  166
> Cost = 665
> Thrust = 4			  33	  66
> FTL = Normal			  17	  34
> Hull = Weak, Military
> CrewFactors = 9
> Armour = 10			  10	  20
> DP = 32		  32	  64
> Shields = 2			  17	  51
>
> Weapons and Such
> --------------------------------
> Standard Fighter Bay x5	  45	  135
> PDS x4		  4	  12
> Class 2 Battery (all) x2		  6	  18
> Fire Control x3		  3	  12
> Total:			  167	  (578)
>
> Uses 1 Mass too many. Dumping 1 FCS (it's not necessary to have more
FCSs
> than weapon batteries!) makes the ship legal; the ship's own NPV (ie.,
not
> counting the fighters) then becomes 574. (If you want to optimize the
> design further you can make it TMF 164/NPV 567 instead.)

Excellent...

***Snipped some other analysis***

Thanks for the feedback on those designs.  I'm probably still going to
tweak a
few here and there, but I will definitely sit down with your commentary
in
hand and make those mass/points - saving questions you suggested.

Thanks a bunch for spending that time.

--
--Tim
http://geocities.com/flakmagnet72

Prev: [FT] Photo's of Warships Next: Re: [FT] Photo's of Warships