Prev: RE: (FT) small vs large ships, was YAFS Next: Re: [SG2] Alternate Quick Combat Resolution (Modified Impact Versus ArmourProcedure)

Re: [FT] Yet Another Fighters Suggestion

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 07:20:16 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Yet Another Fighters Suggestion

----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Evans" <devans@nebraska.edu>
> This is an off-the-cuff idea, but has anyone considered giving
> warships a "built-in" fighter defense value? Something like, for every
> x mass of the ship, the ship gets y PDS systems?
> ***
>
> Hard to PSB: as target ships grow in size, a larger percentage of
pilots
> find themselves unable to avoid ramming unvulnerably armored areas on
> them... ;->=
>
> Seriously, I don't think it balances in the same pattern as 'the
massed
> fighter problem', but I'll have to cogitate, or wait for 'someone
else' to
> explain the numbers.

Wouldn't the suggestion be more or less equivalent to having PDS cost
some
mass, but zero points ?

Another idea that I'm sure has been discussed at some point: What about
allowing fighter groups only a single shot at enemy ships ? PSB is
fairly
easy in that the heavy fighter missiles or the beam energy charge able
to do
serious damage to a ship allows only one attack on a ship. Combat with
other
fighters would still be limited by endurance only.

Greetings
Karl Heinz