Prev: RE: Fighter Group Turn around time was: YAFS Next: Re: [FT] Yet Another Fighters Suggestion

RE: [FT] Yet Another Fighters Suggestion

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 00:10:57 -0500
Subject: RE: [FT] Yet Another Fighters Suggestion

At 6:34 PM -0600 2/2/04, Doug Evans wrote:
>***
>But in comparison, co-ordination of fighters is very small in terms of
>price, space and crew compared to the cost of purchase and maintenance
of
>the fighters.	For instance, the amount of carrier space allocated to
>hangars, fuel bunkers, weapons storage and spare parts, bunking for
pilots
>and maintenance crew is much larger than the 100 or so
personnel,computers
>and crew space it takes to organize a strike of 36 fighters.
>***
>
>I wouldn't know, though I think you're analyzing too closely again.
>However, aren't there items you aren't including? Specialized radar and
>communication? Sentries, Orions, or
>whatever-the-heck-baby-awacs-are-called... Satellite support?

Well, my SWACs concept fits in there. Not much
else is needed as a discrete unit unless you want
to model tankers.

>Are these all that much more expensive? Dunno. Applicable to space?
*shrug*

>But they show what the kinds of techno-babble handwaving we call PSB
can
>cover. ;->=

Well, I've found that if I set up my carriers
with a reasonable strike, multi-role and
interceptor configuration, I'm at a disadvantage
to a carrier that's setup with just heavy
fighters.

Space over a larger area than a standard table
for fleet ops seems to be one way of protecting
against the all encompassing flock of fighters.
Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)

Prev: RE: Fighter Group Turn around time was: YAFS Next: Re: [FT] Yet Another Fighters Suggestion