Prev: Re: [FT] Yet Another Fighters Suggestion Next: Re: [FT] Yet Another Fighters Suggestion

Re: The GZG Digest V2 #1887

From: Laserlight <laserlight@q...>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 14:55:31 -0500
Subject: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #1887

> I've tried many times to get into the F or A arcs.  One thing I've
> noticed, and have pointed it out to him, is that each of his 1-pt
turns seems
> to be closer to 45 degrees instead of 30.  I doubt he's doing this
deliberately,
> but it bugs me to no end when my MD4 ships seem to be out-turned by
MD2
> ships.

If you have hex bases or indeed anything else hex-shaped, it's fairly
easy to put it down and say "okay, from a flat to a point is a 1pt
turn".

> Also, it's really not that easy to determine where he will be.  He can
> go port or starboard; it's not like I can have a "tailing" advantange
and
> get to know which direction he goes before I plot.  It only takes a
slight
> turn to get those multi-arc weapons back in arc and if I have single
arc
> weapons I have to guess right or I don't get to fire them.

This is why multi-arc weapons cost more.  However, even a single-arc
covers a lot of room at longer range, so it depends on whether you can
keep the range open and how fast you're both moving.

> I've lost my thrill of FT for several reasons: faster ships are worse
> off in cinematic (and I'm the only one willing to play vector),

I'd dispute that faster ships are worse off, but you do need to have the

right tactics to take advantage of it.	If you line up face to face and
charge, then yes, you're toast; but if you take advantage of your
superior speed to strike the edges of his formation and then run away
and set of the next strike, you can nibble him to death  (the Boom and
Zoom tactic).

You might want to try FT Java
http://home.nycap.rr.com/davisje/ftjava/index.html
and then go to the sign up page and create a vector battle.

> a couple minor nits: needs better sensor rules and better cloaking
> rules.

Concur-- have you tried Derek Fulton's sensor rules?

Prev: Re: [FT] Yet Another Fighters Suggestion Next: Re: [FT] Yet Another Fighters Suggestion