Prev: Re: Star Trek using FT Next: An item for those 'old SF figures' types

Re: [OT, FH] Where is Gem 37?

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrathwiz@c...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:53:47 -0500
Subject: Re: [OT, FH] Where is Gem 37?

Beth.Fulton@csiro.au wrote:
> G'day guys,
>
> There was a piece on BBC news about 37 Gem being one of the most
likely (so
> far) looking sites for life other than here. In the article it says
its 42
> light years, so I went looking on the GZGverse map to see who I should
dump
> the scenario on. I didn't spot it easily (could be blind though) so
looked
> it up on google and got the following stats
>
> HD CATALOG: 50692 SPECTRAL TYPE: G0V DISTANCE (L.Y.): 62 OTHER
CATALOG: GL
> 252 OTHER NAME: 37 Gem
>
> I'm at work so no star books with me, have I got the right beastie? At
62
> light years its not going to be on Nyrath the grand's map, but doesn't
> anyone know map edge it'll be off?

	Sorry I'm late.

	37 Geminorum on the grand FT map would be at
	-16.6, -3.1, 3.6

	It is closest to ADS 5054 which is currently unclaimed,
	on the Rimward map edge.

	Judging by eyeball, it is surrounded by the Neu Swabian League,
	the Royal Dutch Commonwealth, and the Verenigde Randwaartse
	Compangnie.

	For future reference, go to
	http://www.projectrho.com/smap06.html
	download the HabHyg dataset and import it into
	Microsoft Excel. Save it as HabHyg.xls.
	When a new star comes along
	that you want to know its location, you can
	use Excel to look it up and discover its coordinates.

Prev: Re: Star Trek using FT Next: An item for those 'old SF figures' types