Prev: Best Inkjet Decal Paper? Next: Re: Ship dispositions

Re: Ship dispositions

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@w...>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 16:59:40 +1100
Subject: Re: Ship dispositions

From: "Damond Walker" <damosan@comcast.net>

> Not being a naval type I'd like to know what
> Decommissioned and Reserve actually mean in the context of FT.
>
> When a ship is decommissioned is it sold off as scrap?  Or to another
> power (corporate, small nation, etc)?

Decommissioned means either scrapped or kept around as a hulk, or a
target
using for live-fire exercises. Basically, it is no longer a going
concern
as an operational vessel (though might be good for training crews to
repair
damage etc) and cannot economically be made so.

> When a ship is placed in reserve is it a combination of moving it to
> training status or mothballing it around a station or a lagrange
point?

Exactly, though ships "in reserve" may actually be put into a "reserve
fleet"
and still be operationally viable without notice. Generally, this means
"ships available after a delay if required"

> About vessels sold -- can I assume these sales are to friendly
nations.
>   Or do these sales include private concerns as well?

You're not cleared for that.

Prev: Best Inkjet Decal Paper? Next: Re: Ship dispositions