Prev: Re: [SG/DS] Orbital assault Next: Re: [SG/DS/FT] On-line Painting Tutorial Video created.

RE: [SG/DS] Orbital assault

From: Brian B <greywanderer987@y...>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 18:04:20 -0800 (PST)
Subject: RE: [SG/DS] Orbital assault

Its not necessarily either or. You can include both
the conventions (rendering attacks less likely) AND
the PSB (rendering successful attacks less likely) all
in the same background.
--- owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
<lin@rxkinetix.com> wrote:
> You actually don't need to PSB anything - just make
it a Convention - something like MAD or the Geneva
Conventions - you don't slag civilian populations or
your country/planet/empire will get slagged in return.

> Seems to work in the modern world with nukes.
>
> Target identification is a separate issue - you
still have the problem of ID whether you are shooting
a Class 10 beam, a 2000 lbs PGM or a class 5 HEL.  Is
it an armory or a hospital?  Are those reporters with
abig camera or enemy infantry with an ATGM?  The only
difference is scale - at one end you end up with a
single dead friendly, at the other, maybe a couple of
thousand.  If you are having trouble ID'ing targets,
you might want to stay away from the large scale
stuff.

> --Binhan

100 installations on a
> > planet worth knocking out militarily, especially
if you have orbital
> > superiority.  So call it 50 hours of bombardment
to remove any type of
> > major military resistance (military bases, supply
centers, large
> > fortifications, automated military factories)
This also assumes that
> > you've only brought in a single Ortillery ship,
three would be more
> > preferrable to give complete coverage of the
globe.

> > This assumes
> > a) that you can economically build as large a beam
as you want.
> > b) that beam weapons are effective through
atmosphere--you might lose
> > 90% of the effect.	Or 10%, or 100%, or whatever
number makes you feel
> > happy.
> > c) in some cases, that you can distinguish the
hospital from the
> > school from the armory, and hit only the one you
want.  Oops, even if
> > you only hit the armory, you'll get the school and
the hospital from
> > the secondaries.  Looks bad on the evening news.
(of course, some of
> > us don't much care about the evening news).
> >
> > Basically, to make orbital assaults work--and I
agree with Beth that
> > we should have them--then we pretty much have to
PSB a reason why
> > orbit-to-ground weapons are very limited.

=====
"Teach a man to make fire, and he will be warm for a day.  Set a man on
fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life."   -- John A.
Hrastar

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
http://companion.yahoo.com/

Prev: Re: [SG/DS] Orbital assault Next: Re: [SG/DS/FT] On-line Painting Tutorial Video created.