Prev: RE: [SG/DS] Orbital assault Next: RE: [SG/DS] Orbital assault

Re: [SG/DS] Orbital assault

From: Brian B <greywanderer987@y...>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 17:43:57 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [SG/DS] Orbital assault

--- Laserlight <laserlight@quixnet.net> wrote:

> This assumes
> a) that you can economically build as large a beam
> as you want.
> b) that beam weapons are effective through
> atmosphere--you might lose
> 90% of the effect.  Or 10%, or 100%, or whatever
> number makes you feel
> happy.

Hehe.... hadn't thought of that angle.... but add
these two points to mine about specialized S-t-S
FireCon, and it's a plausible enough PSB....

> c) in some cases, that you can distinguish the
> hospital from the
> school from the armory, and hit only the one you
> want.  Oops, even if
> you only hit the armory, you'll get the school and
> the hospital from
> the secondaries.  Looks bad on the evening news.
> (of course, some of
> us don't much care about the evening news).

Although even those who DON'T care about the evening
news will have to stop and ask themselves who WILL
care, and what THOSE people can do about it....

> Basically, to make orbital assaults work--and I
> agree with Beth that
> we should have them--then we pretty much have to PSB
> a reason why
> orbit-to-ground weapons are very limited.

We agreed.   I'm scared.

=====
"Teach a man to make fire, and he will be warm for a day.  Set a man on
fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life."   -- John A.
Hrastar

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
http://companion.yahoo.com/

Prev: RE: [SG/DS] Orbital assault Next: RE: [SG/DS] Orbital assault