Prev: Re: [SG2] weapons Next: Re: [SG2] weapons

Re: [SG/DS] Orbital assault was RE: Troop Quality was RE: [SG2] weapons

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:56:28 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG/DS] Orbital assault was RE: Troop Quality was RE: [SG2] weapons

> That's why I wanted to have Planetary Defnce Systems that would make
> orbital bombardment tricky - but systems that were in turn vulnerable
> to a ground-based assault.
>
> Basically, near cities and other points of interest, there's enough
> defences to make planetary bombardment a very expensive proposition,
> or one requiring massive superiority and a willingness to take a
> few casualties. But there's not enough defences to guard the entire
> planet, eg polar icecaps, so landings there are practicable. Then
comes
> the long DS2 slog across continental distances, with raids by SG2
sized
> troops on isolated sensors, fighter bases etc.

Why land at the polar ice cap or similar remote place?	If the troops
are in
dropships, you can enter the low atmosphere (within 10,000 feet of the
surface) of the planet wherever you want, and then fly towards the
targets
you want to take out and land a reasonable safe distance away.	This can
be
rather close if you use a NOE flight profile for the last part.
Obviously,
drop pods can't do this.  But if the troops in the dropships eliminate
the
defenses that can take out  then drop pods, then drop pods can be used
reinforce.

By the way, your defenses sound very Traveller'ish.

ias

Prev: Re: [SG2] weapons Next: Re: [SG2] weapons