Prev: Re: [FT] Purty Pictures and Starhunter? Next: [FT] Using Sculpy to build ships with

Re: [SG2] weapons

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 20:29:48 +0100
Subject: Re: [SG2] weapons

Imre Szabo wrote:

> >Nope. Oh, sure, we could produce a weapon capable of taking out
*civilian*
> >electronics quite easily even with today's tech, but most of the
military
> >ones are much, *much* tougher than that. All those dollars spent have
> >already started to get results, you see :-/
>
>Tougher, not proof.  The microwave warheads currently under R&D are to
take
>out millitary systems.

Several orders of magnitude tougher, and I'm quite well aware about how
far
the microwave warhead R&D has advanced. So far, the defensive side is
*way*
ahead. Which is a pity, since my job would be one hell of a lot easier
if
EMP warheads could reliably knock out the target's defensive systems.

>Also there is a very big difference in between
>taking out a chip and taking out a chip conected to a sensor that is
trying
>to recieve a signal.

Depends entirely on what *type* of signal the sensor is looking for...
and
how it is designed.

> >Not very likely that the EMP doesn't take out the PDS/ADS, or not
very
> >likely that the low-velocity round will defeat the PDS/ADS when the
EMP
> >doesn't do its job? Not that it matters; I agree with both <g>
>
>Not very likely that the EMP won't take out PDS/ADS.

Don't bet your life on it. I'm not going to, and it is my job that
depends
on finding a counter to PDS/ADS.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [FT] Purty Pictures and Starhunter? Next: [FT] Using Sculpy to build ships with