Prev: Re: [DS3] What weapons do you think DS2 needs added? Next: [DS] C-in-C product clarification

Re: [SG] weapons

From: <warbeads@j...>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:41:35 -0600
Subject: Re: [SG] weapons

Beams in this case meant laser IIRC, not Meson yada-yada-yada.
Trusting
to memory (gulp) as sold books eons ago.

Gracias,
Glenn

Hx, SF, and Fx: 6 mm figures, Starships and 1:6K "Wet Navy" warships
are my main interest.	But I have forces in 6 through 25 mm FWIW...

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 08:08:58 -0600 Doug Evans <devans@nebraska.edu>
writes:

>***
>Right. To expand a bit, Traveller was/is the original SF role-playing
>game, with a fairly extensive spaceship section.
>
>IIRC, the sand casters' cloud also were to a degree able to absorb
>beam
>weapons and to harm incoming missiles.
>
>Scattergun is a rough (but more powerful) equivalent in FT
>***
>
>Showing a foolish leaping-in-without-the-benefit-of-books-handy, I
>believe
>that the sand's main function was to absorb beam weapon fire. The
>'sand'
>would vaporize, absorbing the energy.
>
>I'm not sure when, whether in the original rules or later, but the
>sand
>'cloud' followed inertia, so a ship was protected as long as it didn't
>have
>a course change. If it changes direction, thrusts or retards, and the
>ship
>would pull out of the protection.
>
>I don't recall much in the way of effect on missles; recall that the
>ship
>itself might move in the cloud, apparently without effect.
>
>Does an FTII scattergun have effect against beam weapons? Any
>persistence
>on the table? I'll admit similar concept, but pretty different in
>effect.
>
>I'll have to look at PP:Escorts for the mechanism used there for sand
>casters.
>
>The_Beast

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Prev: Re: [DS3] What weapons do you think DS2 needs added? Next: [DS] C-in-C product clarification