Prev: [FH] IF names and future tech Next: Re: John Atkinson whereabouts

Re: [OT] Spearhead

From: Foxx Travis <lordkalvin2002@y...>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:11:40 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [OT] Spearhead

Spearhead is the greatest thing since sliced bread!
Some real trackheads and Panzerphiles may not like
them, claiming they are too simple or unrealistic.
They don't like the "you must fire at the target that
is the same type as the firing unit" (tanks and ATG's
at tanks, Infantry at Infantry, etc.) rule and the
"shoot at the closest thing to you rule".  Although
this does lead to some "gamey" tactics, it does not
allow the Uberfuerer kitty kats to dominate the game
(although they are still very powerful) and these two
rules are also a elegant way of making you intermix
your infantry with your tanks and vice-versa.

Modern Spearhead is heavily based on Spearhead, but
has some very nice "improvements" which have made
there way into my WWII games!

I've played a lot of Micro Armor in my day, and at the
end of the day, I can actually field nearly a division
(at one tank/infantry stand equals a platoon) a side
with 4 to 6 players on a side (an experienced player
can easily run a regiment/Brigade) and still reach a
conclusion in four hours.  And my head doesn't hurt
afterward!!!

Amongst some other favorite mechanics is the "Command
Arrow", which has you draw you movements on a map.  It
sounds tedious, but really isn't that bad.  Plus, it
makes one feel that the units are truly maneuvering
and that you are commanding as a real Major, Colonel
or General would (at least it feels that way).

My take on the rules is you really, really like them
or you really, really don't.  Personally, I love them.

--- Laserlight <laserlight@quixnet.net> wrote:
> Anyone on the list have experience with Spearhead
> (or Modern
> Spearhead)?  If so, what's your opinion of it?

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

Prev: [FH] IF names and future tech Next: Re: John Atkinson whereabouts