Prev: Re: Diving up North America ; was Re: [OT] Free CalTex Interplanetary Federation in the making, Next: Re: Transhuman Thrust

Re: [FT] Jump Point

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 18:32:40 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Jump Point

> What's going to govern in-system jumps? Say you have to stop at the
> solar hyperlimit. Can you then jump to a planet's hyperlimit?

I've always thought of it as being that you couldn't jump inside a
Jump Limit at all.  If so, and if the Sun's jump limit is around the
Belt or farther (as it has been in most suggestions I've seen), then
it doesn't matter what the Earth's limit would be--although Jupiter or
Saturn might still matter.

This would tend to give us higher velocities because you'd have to
move from the jump limit to the habitable planet under normal thrust.

If you think of the Jump Limit as being a change in speed limits, then
the Earth's field may add to the Sun's field.  You may see ships with
a lower real velocity because they just make microjumps to get to the
target.