Prev: Re: Transhuman Thrust Next: Re: Diving up North America ; was Re: [OT] Free CalTex Interplanetary Federation in the making,

Re: [OT] Free CalTex Interplanetary Federation in the making,

From: Dances With Rocks <kochte@s...>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 18:28:05 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT] Free CalTex Interplanetary Federation in the making,

Brian B wrote:

> --- Indy <kochte@stsci.edu> wrote:
>
> > I've been [slowly] working on the Hawai`ian Free
> > State (HFS),
> > but it did not include Midway (too far away).
>
> I envision a background in which the split-up of the
> US is a lot less bloody than a Second Civil Wa (the
> regional and factional conflicts come later), and the
> initial mutual defense pact, while short-lived, does
> provide for some of the states to be assisted in
> holding slightly far-flung territories, such as Hawaii
> and Midway, until such a point that these territorial
> claims are well-established and the smaller countries
> capable of holding them on their own.  Hawaii in my
> background holds onto Midway for political and
> cultural reasons, I haven't figured out yet how to
> make it a viable holding economically or
> strategically....

I figured the split of Hawai`i from mainland U.S. would be pretty
bloodless (not totally, but moreso than not). Hawai`i is pretty durn
far out there, and in the overall scheme of things on the mainland
here, it is a separate country unto itself already [present day; I mean,
the Weather Channel barely acknowledges they exist, and CNN rarely
if ever reports anything about them, to say nothing of other "national"
agencies; everyone here on the mainland kinda just ignores Hawai`i
for the most part).

If Hawai`i can hold onto Midway against the IJN or OUDF, then I could
see them keeping it for themselves. But I think the IJN and OUDF
(whether
or not the NAC exist in your universe as Jon T has them) would quite
possibly make a case (political or militarily) for Midway themselves.
OUDF
because they will be grabbing up all the other lonely islands in the
Pacific,
IJN because they'll probably want some kind of far-range observation
outpost
in the Pacific extending towards the Americas. I think (personally)
Hawai`i
would have a difficult time holding onto Midway; it wouldn't have a lot
of
the resources to extend themselves too much further beyond the main
grouping
of islands.

> > Midway I'm not totally sure where they would fall.
> > Perhaps as
> > a military outpost of the NAC, perhaps as an
> > acquisition of
> > the OUDF or IJN. Not real sure, but the HFS probably
> > wouldn't
> > have the resources or military might to hold onto
> > anything that
> > far out. Possibly partway, on some of the smaller
> > atolls, but
> > probably not as far as Midway itself. I personally
> > still see
> > that as a NAC military installation, but...
>
> ... but as this is a discussion of a NAC-free non-Tuffleyverse.......

Ah, well, then replace "NAC" with your favorite evil good superpower.
;-)

Mk