Prev: Re: Sculpting, was Re: New KV Next: Re: Fw: Messages for the List

Re: Sculpting, was Re: New KV

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 19:42:03 +0100
Subject: Re: Sculpting, was Re: New KV

>>If Oerjan doesn't mind me jumping in and answering for him:
>>
>>All the FT minis (Oerjan's, mine, the original CMD ones etc) are done
>>actual-size, in styrene plastic (sheet, rod and strip plastic). All
the
>>tiny details are added from tiny slivers of plastic strip etc.! It's
not
>>that hard, just a bit fiddly and time-consuming!!
>
>That's interesting -- a friend of mine did a little bit of sculpting
for
>Stan Johansen, and he was told that everything had to be metal, or
epoxy
>putty.  Plastic and such wouldn't make it though the process of making
the
>production molds.

That's true if you put the masters straight into high-temp vulcanising
black rubber moulds; we use a low-temp silicone mould first (still
vulcanised in a press - it's not cold-pour RTV silicone - but at a much
lower temp and pressure than black nitrile rubber) which the plastic
masters survive, then the metal castings from this mould go into black
rubber production moulds.

For figure work, the sculptors still use epoxy putty and the master goes
straight into black rubber.

Jon (GZG)

>Stan may well be working with older stuff, of course.
>
>John Crimmins
>john1x@hotmail.com

>Get McAfee virus scanning and cleaning of incoming attachments.  Get
Hotmail