Prev: Re: More paper models Next: RE: More paper models

RAR (was Re: More paper models)

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:19:12 +0100
Subject: RAR (was Re: More paper models)

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 07:09:55AM -0500, Doug Evans wrote:

>I've never heard of .rar, and apparently, neither has my operating
system.
>Could someone give a brief explanation, including if regular Zip
programs
>work.

It's an archiving/compression system - it does essentially the same job
as zip, but with a completely different algorithm. It was written in
Russia, and in 1994 I introduced it to the West by translating its
documentation. :-)

These days, your main options are:

- WinRAR - the official system. http://www.rarlabs.com/

- PowerArchiver - handles zip, rar, and lots of other formats. My
preferred extractor under Windows. http://www.powerarchiver.com/

Roger

Prev: Re: More paper models Next: RE: More paper models