Prev: Re: FT: Vortex gravity gradient question Next: Re: FT: Battles of the 20th C and why there is one thing that has not been considered.

Re: FT: Vortex gravity gradient question

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 10:29:44 -0500
Subject: Re: FT: Vortex gravity gradient question

***
This is exactly the same formula as for you average sun, planet, or
moon.
Except that the mass of the Black Hole may be as big as you like ;-) In
fact, the mass of a Neutron Star or a small Black Hole is that of a
large
star. The point is that you can make your distance (r) much smaller than
for
a star.
***

Thanks, Karl, for pointing out something I started to jump on. From
Black
Hole, to Wing Commander, the point has been that the only major
difference
between these bodies on passing ships is that you may be able get close
enough to a black hole to the point where tidal forces are more damaging
than EM output (light, heat, hard radiation, etc.).

Course, the really big singularities, 'eats suns for breakfast', appear
have accretion disks that give off enough energy approaching the event
horizon to negate this.

Or is my own Saturday morning physics way off base?

Likewise, any use in the game?

The_Beast