Prev: Re: Classed Weapons Next: FT: Battles of the 20th C and why there is one thing that has not been considered.

Re: T8 B5 BC was Re: Classed Weapons

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 11:19:43 +0200
Subject: Re: T8 B5 BC was Re: Classed Weapons

Jared Hilal wrote:

>>>However, in vector: 4x6 or 5x8 table, KV enters table from short
table
>>>end at high speed (30+).  If the T8B5 is on table, or enters
perpendicular,

>>Then the game set-up pretty explicitly says that the T8B5 has screwed
up
>>its pre-battle manoeuvres.
>>
>>If the universe is bigger than the gaming table (and fact that the
table
>>scrolls implies that it is), why would the T8B5 captain - assuming
that
>>he has any brains at all - approach the incoming KV ship
perpendicularly
>>(which is almost guaranteed to lose him the battle), when matching
course
>>and speed just outside the KV ship's weapon range is guaranteed to
*win*
>>him the battle? He has the engine power to do it.
>
>Yeah, I figured that out when you, in a previous post, in passing,
>mentioned setting up in opposite corners of the * long * table edge.
>
>However, if you thought this was an issue, you could have mentioned it
>when I * explicitly listed * the set-ups that my group uses.

I could have done so - if I had realized at the time that these were the

ONLY set-ups your group uses, rather than some EXAMPLES of the many
types
of set-ups you use. When I finally did begin to suspect that the set-ups

you had listed actually were the only ones you use, and also realized
the
rather major importance you put on leaving the table in spite of its
scrolling (which would prevent a faster ship from catching up with a
slower
one once it had left the table), I immediately described a more
appropriate
set-up for this particular scenario.

I'm sorry, but this debate feels a bit like discussing maths with
someone
who first claims to master calculus but half-way into the discussion
expresses his annoyance that no-one has told him about how addition or
subtraction works until he explicitly asked about it - and then berates
everyone for not telling him about it at the outset.

Of course this debate isn't nearly *that* bad (the above example is much

exaggerated), but time and again you've made what appears to be quite
definite statements about how things are in Full Thrust but which
eventually turn out to be based on relatively basic gaps in your
understanding of how the game - including its ship design system -
works.
(Not how the *rules* work as such, but how they interact with one
another.)
The relationship between a weapon's combat power and the area covered by

its fire arc was one such case (OK, that one admittedly isn't a
particularly "basic" gap, but it is one I can nail down closely enough
put words on), the relationship between a weapon's "effectiveness" and
its
mass was another, the relationship between turn rate and value of wide
fire
arcs a third, and so on.

Unfortunately, since we don't know exactly where these gaps of yours
are,
we only have two ways to fill them in: either we try to give *all* the
background detail of which you already know most, in which case you
complain about us giving the crucial details - ie., the ones you were
missing - only "in passing"; or else we try to answer your specific
questions in which case you complain about it taking too long before you

get the answer you were looking for (since the crucial detail wasn't
always
part of the answer to the specific question you were asking so it took
us
some time to figure out what piece of the puzzle it was you didn't
already
have). Whichever way we try, you seem to think that we, out of sheer
spite,
are deliberately witholding information which we are allowed to tell
you.
After a while this becomes somewhat exasperating.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Classed Weapons Next: FT: Battles of the 20th C and why there is one thing that has not been considered.