Prev: Re: T8 B5 BC was Re: Classed Weapons Next: Re: FT: Vortex gravity gradient question

Re: ft-Raiders

From: Jared Hilal <jlhilal@y...>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 16:54:53 -0500
Subject: Re: ft-Raiders

david smith wrote:

> I find the idea of raiders in campains very useful, just from the
> amount of resources that have to be diverted to defend against them,
> because if you don`t, the lost of your resources can be devistating.
> In a simple senario, a raider is either picking on something it
> outclasses, or is being hunted by something that outclasses it
> totally. The only real life example of a faily even raider Vs hunter
> battle that comes to mind is the WW2 graf spey(cant spell) being
> hunted by the RN cruisers.

KMS Graf Spee, battle happened near the mouth of the River Plate (sp?),
near Montevideo in S. America.

> As to JHs comments about dreadnought BB`s, I have actually designed
> and played with all big gun ships, and my fave was using turreted K
> guns and multi layered PH armour, to get the WW1 feel.

What did you come up with as a system for turreting K-guns, (in terms of

formula for mass and NPV)?  I have been tinkering, but haven't come up
with anything satisfactory.

BTW, I always felt that the ablative "armor" of the fleet books is more
representative of wet navy "underwater protection", like torpedo bulges,

wet-dry spaces, and compartmentalized multiple hulls.  MT KraVak
"Integral Armor" seemed better to represent the belt and citadel.

PS, any ideas for an "all or nothing" type armor arrangement?

> As for the other comment about modern navy ships Vs WW2 ships, you
> don`t even have to go to that extreem

That was someone else trying to make an OTT example of range advantage.

> for a example. Just look at the end of WW2, with the carriers
> outclassing BBs (thinking of a specific engaugement when the japs
> decoyed away the big carrriers, and the BBs managed to get close in
> restrictive waters in a island chain, name escapes me at the moment).

Leyte Gulf in the Philippines.	But the Japanese decoyed away the entire

US task group (CVs, CVBs, BBs, BBFs and fast escorts) and got
battleships and battlecruisers to attack CVEs, CLs and DDs off the Leyte

landing beaches.

The previous day ( I think), another Japanese force of BBs was engaged
at Surigao (sp?) Strait (also in Philippines), and got their "T" crossed

by a couple of squadrons of older USN BBs (including 6 of the 8
sunk/crippled at Pearl Harbor).

The third Japanese task group was turned back at San Bernadino Strait
(again, Philippines).

Prev: Re: T8 B5 BC was Re: Classed Weapons Next: Re: FT: Vortex gravity gradient question