Prev: Re: Question on Salvo Missiles Next: Re: FCS and PBL was Re: Classed Weapons

Re: FT: Vortex gravity gradient question

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 22:42:10 +0200
Subject: Re: FT: Vortex gravity gradient question

Imre Szabo wrote:

>Does anyone out there have a simple equation (no PDE's or poorly
behaved
>ODE's) to calculate the pull of a vortex (such as a Black Hole or
Neutron
>Star) both towards it and around it?  Something in cylindrical or
>spherical coordinates would be excellent.

F = C * M * m / r^2

where

F = the force on the ship from the vortex (and vice versa of course, but

the vortex is so massive so it won't move much anyway)
C = the gravitational constant (6.67e-11 [N*m^2/kg^2] in SI units)
M = the mass of the vortex
m = the mass of the ship
r = distance from the vortex to the ship

If you're only interested in the acceleration the vortex imposes on the
ship you use the fact that F = m * a and  get

a = C * M / r^2

If you want to calculate the parabolic or spiral-shaped paths ships
moving
past the vortex follow, then I'm afraid that you'll have to integrate it
:-/

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Question on Salvo Missiles Next: Re: FCS and PBL was Re: Classed Weapons