Prev: Re: B vs K was Re: Classed Weapons Next: Re: [Power Projection] Website Update 4 September 2003

Re: T8 B5 BC was Re: Classed Weapons

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 09:40:57 +0200
Subject: Re: T8 B5 BC was Re: Classed Weapons

Jared Hilal wrote:

>However, in vector: 4x6 or 5x8 table, KV enters table from short table
end
>at high speed (30+).  If the T8B5 is on table, or enters perpendicular,

Then the game set-up pretty explicitly says that the T8B5 has screwed up

its pre-battle manoeuvres.

If the universe is bigger than the gaming table (and fact that the table

scrolls implies that it is), why would the T8B5 captain - assuming that
he
has any brains at all - approach the incoming KV ship perpendicularly
(which is almost guaranteed to lose him the battle), when matching
course
and speed just outside the KV ship's weapon range is guaranteed to *win*

him the battle? He has the engine power to do it.

>>By the way, I tend to agree with you that I'd like larger beams to be
>>more effective (ie do more damage at longer range)--I like the WW1
>>dreadnought model.  That doesn't mean it's necessarily balanced, just
>>that it's what I'd prefer.
>
>I didn't mean to increase the effectiveness/damage of larger batteries,

>just reduce the mass (minor point, I know).

<sigh>

Repeat after me:

The important thing is NOT the raw damage a weapon inflicts.

The important thing is the RATIO between its DAMAGE and its MASS.

IOW, reducing the mass is IDENTICAL to increasing the effectiveness,
unless
you also reduce the damage to compensate...

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: B vs K was Re: Classed Weapons Next: Re: [Power Projection] Website Update 4 September 2003