Prev: Sorry, sorry, sorry! Next: RE: FT-B5 ships

Re: FT Newtonian Acceleration was Re: B5 Ship Combat

From: Jared Hilal <jlhilal@y...>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 22:57:17 -0500
Subject: Re: FT Newtonian Acceleration was Re: B5 Ship Combat

Roger Burton West wrote:

>FT acceleration (in cinematic or in vector) is not realistic. When you
>apply 1 thrust point, you get a speed of 1 MU/turn, which is fine - but
>during the turn you apply it, you move 1 MU, which isn't. That would
>only make sense if you applied all the thrust instantaneously at the
>start of the turn, whereas what we generally assume is that the thrust
>is applied over the entire course of the turn - what that should mean
is
>that you move 1/2 MU per thrust point on the turn you accelerate, and 1
>MU per thrust point on each subsequence turn.

After thinking about how complex this would be for a minute . . .

Actually, because of a nifty coincidence with the basic FT rules, this
is very . . . very, very, very . . . easy in FT Cinematic Movement.  Try

this:

FT Cinematic movement divides a ships movement into two steps divided by

a midpoint turn.  Great opportunity!  Each turn, compute the first half
of the ship's movement based upon its previous turn's ending speed, and
compute the second half of the ships movement based on the new ending
speed.

Example:

Ship AA ends the 3rd game turn with a speed of 10 MU.  On the 4th game
turn, it applies 2 Thrust to acceleration.  When the ship is moved, the
first leg of movement (after even turns) is based on a V of 10, so AA is

moved 5 MU.  After midpoint (odd) turns, the second leg of movement is
based on a V of 12 (10 +2), so AA moves another 6 MU.  Total travel = 11

MU and ending V = 12.

If AA applies thrust to deceleration  instead of acceleration, the same
sequence is applied.  The first leg is still 5 MU, and the second leg is

based on a V of 8 (10-2) so AA is moved 4 MU.  Total travel = 9  MU and
ending V = 8.

None of this interferes with any maneuvering by the ship.  Turns still
have full effect, even S-turns.  So, if  AA has, for example, T4, then
it has the options to turn P, PP, S, SS, PS or SP as normal.

>This problem is common to all space combat games I've played. Some of
>us have been playing with rules to make this work in a realistic
>manner. It's possible, but needs a lot more bookkeeping, especially in
>vector.

This way would require no additional bookkeeping, just a moment's pause
to remember to compute the first and second legs of movement separately.

 (This is probably the biggest problem, as this might be forgotten in
the excitement of the moment, gamers being creatures of habit and all)

As for vector movement . . . I left my 10' cattle prod outside :)

Prev: Sorry, sorry, sorry! Next: RE: FT-B5 ships