Prev: Re: "The People" was: New guy Next: [OT]Wargames Journal now free

Going OT (yes, again) was Re: "The People" was: New guy

From: <warbeads@j...>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 07:53:15 -0500
Subject: Going OT (yes, again) was Re: "The People" was: New guy

>>>  (a little humor/humour there since the
>>>  >mother tongue to the Americas is Spanish! LOL!)
>>>
>>>  just don't tell The People
>>>  (Spanish came after them by a millenium or 2)
>>>
>>>  MarkS

Hi Mark!

I 'conveniently ignored' that angle  (Father is  Cherokee stock mixed
with Irish and French and mother is Spanish  blended with Scots, Dutch,
and German-Jew) for simplicity's sake.

Besides it easier to type then "Algonquian-Athapascan-26 other names" at
least one model of North American languages showed in a 1974 Atlas I
have.  <grin>  Even the simple "Six language group" model seemed too
long
to type out for ther sake of a little humor.  I am not unaware as much
as
lazy.

Except, until recently, the majority of the First Americans (My kids
from
India are Indians, not my father,  and anyone born in American is a
"native" American so I don't really like either of those terms but we
have had that discussion before...) did not see themselves as one
people.
 I won't even start to unravel which/how many language groups (much less
languages) there were before Columbus 'discovered' his world model might
not to	scale.	The Cherokees helped Andrew Jackson against the Creeks
(20/20 hindsight - saving his life may not have been such a good act <no
grin>) and there is still some hostility to this day between certain
groups of Apaches for the aid they rendered against other Apaches.  One
common theme/weakness was the inability to rise above the history of
cultural/tribal/nation conflict when the Europeans came to occupy the
land and present a united front.  I would go so far as to say that it
was
basically impossible (outside of fiction) for the First Americans to
unify against Europe's colonialism precisely because they did not see
themselves as one people.

And it seems that each group's name for it self (not the name someone
else gave them which is where at least a portion of names main line
Americans came to know many groups by came from) translates as some
variety of "The People" with some implication of 'best' or 'main'
included in many cases.

But now we are way off topic.  I could try and link this back to GZG
FH... but I'll just stop.

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Prev: Re: "The People" was: New guy Next: [OT]Wargames Journal now free