Prev: Re: New Guy Next: Re: New Guy

Re: Fusion Cannon proposal

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@w...>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 19:54:29 +1000
Subject: Re: Fusion Cannon proposal

From: "Matt Tope" <mptope@omnihybrid.com>

> He likes Fussion Cannon so I came up with this (For FT2.5),
>
> Mass 15
> Cost 45/60?
> 1 arc
> Range Dice
> 0-12mu 3d6
> 12-24mu 2d6
>
> Standard FC rules. Fires in normal shooting phase, only targets 1
vessel.
> Roll d6 as per range and total. If the score is odd the shot misses.
If it
> is even it hits and causes damage equal to the score. Half damage on
armour
> in the usual way.
>
> Let the dissection begin...

Average damage at short range 10.5/2 = 5.25
Average damage at long range 7/2 = 3.5

By the mechanics, screens have no effect.

Compare with 4 standard Pulse torps, mass 16, cost 48
0-6 -> 35/3
6-12 -> 28/3
12-18 -> 7
18-24 -> 14/3
24-30 -> 7/3

Now being 1 system rather than 4 might have some advantages for smaller
ships with few DC parties. And being 1 mass less is good. Having a
larger
chance of bulk damage can also be an advantage, more chances of early
criticals. These are all very minor effects though, and only take effect
under peculiar circumstances. It's also reasonable to have a new weapon
being just a smidgin less effective in most cases than older ones
(otherwise
why haven't the new ones all been replaced?).

But I'd far rather have the 4 Pulse Torps. At 24" you get 4.66 vs 3.5
damage,
at 12" you get 9.33 vs 5.25 damage, you get a chance of damage between
24-30"
and more damage still at 0-6" and 12-18".

Make the mass 12 and cost 36, and it would be closer, but 3 PTs are
still
a tadge better. 10 and cost 30, and it's a matter of judgement and fine
number-crunching. The question is, do we really need yet another game
mechanic?
If so, could it be extended to larger/smaller weapons easily?

And that I'll leave up to others to comment on.

Prev: Re: New Guy Next: Re: New Guy