Prev: Re: FT-sheilds Next: Re: War of the Worlds in DS2

RE: War of the Worlds in DS2

From: Thomas Pope <tpope@e...>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:06:16 -0400
Subject: RE: War of the Worlds in DS2

> > What DS2 does not represent well is any kind of ablative or
> > degrading system.  Even an OGRE (in DS2) follows the
> > ping/ping/ping/boom paradigm of waiting for a lucky hit rather
> > than gradually degrading its effectiveness.
>
> I thought you got around this by modularizing the OGRE.

Yes and no.  Modularizing the OGRE does allow you to blow off one tread
unit
after another, but assuming that the main body is where the AI lives,
I'd
send all of my fire there, waiting for that Boom shit, or a lucky number
hit.

So I shoot for 5 turns in a row with no effect and then suddenly it
blows
up.

> For a Vicky Sci Fi, the aliens would be unlikely to think they
> NEED cbw protection, as it tended not to be considered a
> battlefield technique on Earth at the time, so why pressurize?
> By WWII, after the horrors of WWI, YOU BET!

What we are postulating is that the Martians made another attack in 1940
after getting hit by bacteria the first time around.  So all of their
vehicles are sealed and the infantry is in powered suits.

Again, it's more for the feel (of the movie) than anything else.  It's
not
necessarily goofy, but not so serious that I've bothered to think about
the
long term implications of the invasion.

Tom

Prev: Re: FT-sheilds Next: Re: War of the Worlds in DS2