Prev: Re: War of the Worlds in DS2 Next: Re: [FT] Fleet Book1 SSD’s

Re: War of the Worlds in DS2

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrathwiz@c...>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 20:25:18 -0400
Subject: Re: War of the Worlds in DS2

B Lin wrote:
> Same for nukes - you will note that most SF writers always use the
 > caveat that aliens will land in population centers and that's why
most
 > governments would be reluctant to use nukes.  Personally, if I didn't
 > know better, I would land in a spot that was devoid of high
concentrations
 > of natives to test out their defenses.  Unless aliens have a great
 > amount of knowledge about us, how do they know that microwaves from
 > cell phones won't scramble their sensors/cause cancer/bad headaches
at
 > short ranges?  I would not like to drop into the center of a hornet's
 > nest until I knew more. For all they know, every human is a
proto-warrior
 > ready to convert to a blood thirsty killing machine at the slightest
 > provocation (just think of the Hollywood movies being broadcast on TV
 > and Satellite right now...) Thus I would tend to land a "Recon in
 > Force" unit to test the defenses, and if it looked good then land
 > the main invasion fleet.  Landing blind is a bad idea.

Heh.  There was a short SF story on the cover of Analog magazine
(dating back to about the 1970's).  The aliens plan their invasion.
If they can seize Earth's supplies of petroleum, they can bring
Earth to her knees!

So they send their initial force right into the center of
the Middle East.

The pathetically few survivors of the initial force babble about
how every single native seemed to be heavily armed...

Prev: Re: War of the Worlds in DS2 Next: Re: [FT] Fleet Book1 SSD’s